Thursday, July 17, 2008

Out of the hospital

So, we're home. And he's doing much better.
You guys all rock.
Some of you were kind enough to email me and share your own experiences with me. And so many of you left me nice thoughtful comments. I know a few of you prayed for him, and I thank you for that as well.
Let's recap. He got sick just before my birthday, with something that I thought was a normal cold. He had very high fever, 104...for 6 days straight. When I went to the doctor the first time, around day 3 of the fever, they told me it was just a cold and to wait it out.
Then he ended up with some really big swollen lymph nodes in his neck and a rash on his body. We went to the Children's Hospital, where they told us he had 3 out of the 5 signs of Kawasaki Disease. (What the hell is Kawasaki disease, right? I heard of the Kawasaki - the motorcycle)
With Kawasaki, there is a potential for its young victims to develop severe heart problems and it has even been known to cause heart attacks in kids, and if not treated, could potentially become fatal in some cases, so the doctors were very clear when they told us that if he does have Kawasaki, it needs to be treated within 10 days of the onset of the first symptoms in order for him to have a 90% rate of recovery.
The treatment would include an intravenous dose of antibodies of gamma globulin (purified antibodies) from other blood donors, to clean his blood basically. Anyway, they were going to start the treatment on day 8...wednesday. But then, that morning we found out he tested positive for another virus...that only mimics Kawasaki disease.
Big sigh of relief.
This one is also a lymph node virus, but it's one that he can recover from on his own. It's just going to take another week or so before he is all better and back to normal.
.'s been a roller-coaster of a week, him and I both lost 5 pounds (me due to stress, and him due to the illness) but I gained about a million grey hairs in the process.
Next year, I'm skipping my birthday alltogether.... just in case.


Hammer said...

Glad to hear it wasn't the bad one.

Lisa said...

I can't imagine the ups and downs you've been going through this past week, you poor things. Thank God he is doing much better and he's back home again.

I swear we all recover that much faster when we get back in amongst our own things.

VERY relieved to read things are so much more positive today.


Jazz said...

Happy to hear he's on the mend.

So you'll be eating birthday cake next week then?

Queen of the Mayhem said...

I am so glad to hear he is doing better.....and so damn jealous about the weight loss! (hee-hee)

Still praying for you guys!

PS: I think you need a birthday redo!

Eileen said...

You've had quite the time the past little bit.
It's scary as heck when our loved ones get sick. The feeling of uselessness can be overwhelming.
Our bodies are strange and wonderful things. What can appear to be 'something' can actually not be.
I'm grateful that B is going to be fine.
You deserve to have a re-do of your birthday. You've been through enough the past while, and I think your family could do with some fun.

That girl said...

Hammer - Thanks. Me too.

Lisa - Yeah, being at home is so much better and comfortable than in a hospital. And, if I do say so myself, the food is better too :-)

Jazz - I'm gonna eat so much birthday cake that it's gonna come out of my ying yang. (No, I don't know what that is, I just said

Queen - Forget the weightloss! I'm putting it all back next week anyway. Let's focus on my grey hair that I can never recover from. Have you got ANY idea how often I have to dye my hair because of my darn roots?!

Eileen - We're taking next weekend off and going to Harrison. All weekend, just us adults. We even booked a spa treatment for ourselves, a one hour couple massage. I think that counts as a re-do, right? Hehe...I can hardly wait.

Leilani said...

I'm so glad to hear he is doing better. Get some rest both of you!

HamiHarri said...

I'm glad he is OK.

Thinking of you guys <3


The Woman said...

omg how scary, I have heard of kawaski disease but like you I was like I thought that was a motorcycle.

tweetey30 said...

I missed something here. I had no idea someone was sick until reading here just now. Yikes I am bad for not reading up all the way on things.. But glad he's all better now.

Fned said...

OMG that must have been a very scary week!! So glad he's doing much better and the doctors were able to confirm he's got the "lesser of the two bads" (btw, what a crappy doc the one that said he only had a cold).

Glad you're getting some special relaxing time next week at the spa... enjoy!!!


Sayre said...

Aw, geez! Happy birthday to you, huh? I'm so glad your boy is going to be okay and that things aren't as dire as originally thought!

I'd have been sweating bullets.

Ann(ie) said...

What a relief!! I'm thinking you need a birthday redo, too love. A night on the town with your hot new look might be in order!!! xo.

ablondeblogger said...

I'm so glad to hear he's doing better and that it wasn't something more serious (but that doesn't make the ordeal any easier, does it?)

I was praying for you and thinking about you all. I wish I lived near you so I could've helped out.


Just telling it like it is said...

Huggs to you I know you must have been freaking out...I hate to see children sick in my ER..glad he's okay!!!

VV said...

I'm so glad he's better and so glad you had people around you to help you through this. I sat for a week in a hospital alone with my daughter while doctors tried to figure out what was wrong with her and had to hope the strangers I trusted to take care of my younger son while I stayed at the hospital with her, were actually taking care of him. Double worry is not fun. Glad yours turned out well.

Anonymous said...

Scary..So glad to hear it wasn't the super dangerous one.

luckyzmom said...

Sorry I missed this. I have been visiting a friend in Virginia. But, I am happy that everything turned out okay.